Skip to main content

On April 15th, 2020 Stetson was helping my dad fill up the water truck to go out and water the animals. When suddenly Stetson fell eight feet into the opening of the pump house. Luck-ily we were all around and reacted instantly. My dad jumped down into the pump house where Stetson was trying to climb back up the lad-der. My dad helped Stetson up. He was crying but seemed ok. I took him inside to clean him up. I noticed his eyes were weird, he wouldn’t look at me. I ran outside with Stetson to tell my mom he was acting weird and that’s when he went limp. Breathing hard, eyes open, but unresponsive. The paramedics responded very quickly and the second they got there looked at Stetson eyes, were they called life flight. Stetson was life flighted to primary’s. I arrived as they were pulling him out of the ct scan and running him straight to surgery. The surgeon told me if we would’ve been any later Stetson wouldn’t have made it. He had a blood clot, which caused bleeding and damage to the left side of his brain affecting right side mobility, peripheral vision, and speech. 
I spent those few hours during surgery alone in a waiting room waiting to hear if my son made it or not. I can’t explain what it was like see-ing him in this condition. It wasn’t easy doing it alone.Stetson was in a coma for a few weeks and was hooked up to every machine possible. I spent those few weeks in the PICU, where it was touch and go for awhile. Desatting a few times, even with being hooked to a breathing tube. Everyday was uncertain.
The doctors left the bone from Stetson’s head out after the first surgery for swelling to go down. After a few weeks we were moved to the neuro trauma unit where we spent the rest of our stay. Stets had a second surgery to put the bone back in his head and take the drains out.  We spent exactly 100 days in the hospital. 
I only came home on Saturdays to repack for the week. 
It seemed after his second surgery he started to take off with therapy and recovery. 
On June 10th, Stetson talked for the first time and said “mama”. Shortly after that he started talking more and more.
It’s been 4 months. Stetson is still in a wheel-chair and has limited mobility, but is working so hard everyday to regain it. He is talking better and saying more words everyday. The doctors say it’s kinda like a baby having to re-learn everything again and it really does seem to be progressing that way. Although it isn’t that easy, Stetson’s right arm still isn’t moving leaving us with many more obstacles to over-come; I’m still uncertain on his development, although very hopeful.
We drive to Sandy everyday for therapy that lasts two hours. People come from all over the country to primary’s and to the therapy center we go to. I can’t believe how blessed me and Stetson are to live right by them. He shows so much progression every day and promises for the future. So many people have come back from far worse and it gives me the hopeful out-look I need to get my boy back. We just have to work hard and try to stay positive. 
Our amazing family, friends, and especially this community, have gone above and beyond for us. I don’t know how we would’ve done any of this without them. It’s been a whirlwind of emo-tions. I can’t begin to describe the way it feels to watch your child and best friend go through something like this and feel gone. To have your whole life change in an instance. 
Brain trauma is serious- there is a pun for a reason- mind blowing. There is so much un-certainty with Traumatic Brain Injuries. Some-one just like Stetson could’ve had the same injury and be in a completely different position. Someone older would’ve barely had any hope, they say “the younger the better with brain in-jury”.
Other kids could have similar injuries and can walk but not be talking and so on. Everyone recovers differently. It’s very wearing on me as a mother to just not know. You want to have hope since it could go both ways but then those fears of the unknown creep in too. 
Our brains are so powerful and so complex. You don’t realize the things it does without thinking and recovering from a brain injury you have to think about everything.
Right now Stetson needs to look at his leg to make it move. I need to give him cues to re-mind him of words. The crazy thing is I can just make a single letter sound and he will instantly say the correct word. He knows. He’s in there. He just is struggling to get it out. He has a ver-bal block.  The doctors described our brains to me like a road. Stetson has a block and he needs to find a detour. Which he is currently doing with speech and mobility. 
I have to be cautious about mood changes and tiring easily. I have to make sure to not over stimulate him. When he starts being more verbal, the doctors will have a better idea if anything affected him long term mentally. Physically we have a longer road I think. He is bearing weight on his legs which is a good sign.
Stetson has not surprised me by how deter-mined and strong he is. He amazes me ev-eryday by how strong he is. This is not for the weak, physically or mentally. We’ve had some really rough nights together, but he always has a smile and sweet happy spirit. Always. Even through his coma, he would give me a smile. Stetson has a special mission in this life and this was just something only he could do to get to what’s planned for him. I know he’s meant for something amazing and I will do whatever it takes to get him there.
I can’t thank you all enough for the overwhelming outpour of prayers, love and support we’ve received through this. I’m eternally grateful. Love, Bria Titmus

Hometown Values Is Utah's Largest Direct-Mail Print Publication.